There are different versions of the origin of the name Nembro – or Nèmber in the Bergamascan dialect – and one of them is linked to Nemus meaning wood. The second suggests its origin is Nimbula from the Latin word for cloud. But the third possibility is the most likely and suggests the name is derived from the Celtic Nembren, which means high ground, a name to be found in other parts of the zone. Important archaeological relics of lytic spires have been found going back to the Palaeolithic age, which are now kept in Bergamo’s Museum of Natural Science.
The first document that attested to the existence of the village dates back to the year 800, but a number of finds suggest the municipal territory was inhabited as early as the Roman era. In 1971, 3rd century Roman coins were found near the Carso stream. And three funereal inscriptions going back to the Roman conquests also surfaced: the first is a burial stone with a bust of one Lucio Celio Corneliano; the second is a sepulchral inscription to a certain Mogizione; the third is an epigraph of one Bal bio Rufo of the Palatine tribe. The medieval epoch was equally rich in village occurrences, which was the centre of the ecclesiastical people of Val Seriana, the most important and oldest of the 12 parishes in which the Bergamo diocese was sub-divided and had within its ecclesiastical jurisdiction 48 district parishes, together with Clusone. Of that period is the tower of the Plizolis family (today called Pelliccioli) built in 1413 for defence purposes, but subsequently re-dimensioned.
Of notable artistic interest is the rural archpresbyterial church dedicated to San Martino, Bishop of Tours, constructed in 1424 but completely rebuilt between 1752 and 1777 by architect Luca Lucchini of Certenago.