In the Province of Bergamo 20 kilometres from the capital, Fiorano al Serio has a population of 3,099. Covering an area of less than one square kilometre, it is the least extensive of the more than Lombardy Region’s 1,500 municipalities. Considered the smallest of the Valle Seriana villages, it is situated in a niche in the River Serio, at an altitude of 396 metres.
The first place name coined for Fiorano al Serio goes back to the year 840, when Floriano was mentioned in vico, derived from the aristocratic Roman Florius. In 1166, Barbarossa’s troops plundered and raised the village to the ground, and in medieval times, it became part of the Confederation of Honio, which was dissolved during the 13th century. The Guelph burned it in 1397 and 31 years later it came under the domination of the Serenissima. Under the hegemony of Napoleon Bonaparte, the village was made part of the Cisalpina Republic in 1797 and in 1814, after the fall of the republic, it was ruled by the Austrians until 1859, when it was annexed by the reign of Sardinia. From that moment on, the history of Fiorano has been entwined with that of the Municipality of Gazzaniga, of which it became a part in 1927 during the twenty years of Fascism, then acquired its autonomy once more in December 1947.